Moving to a new city can be stressful, especially when you have kids to think about. Luckily, Kansas City is a great place to raise a family, with plenty of family-friendly neighborhoods, top-rated schools, and fun and educational activities for kids. In this article, we’ll provide a guide for families who are considering a move to Kansas City.
Family-Friendly Neighborhoods in Kansas City
Kansas City is a big city with a diverse range of neighborhoods, but some are better suited for families than others. Here are a few areas to consider:
- Overland Park: Located in the Kansas suburbs, Overland Park is a popular choice for families thanks to its excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, and plenty of parks and recreational activities.
- Prairie Village: Another Kansas suburb, Prairie Village is known for its charming homes and tree-lined streets. It’s also home to several top-rated schools and community events like farmers’ markets and outdoor concerts.
- Brookside: Located in the heart of Kansas City, Brookside is a trendy, walkable neighborhood with a mix of historic homes and modern apartments. It’s home to several parks, playgrounds, and family-friendly restaurants.
Top-Rated Schools in Kansas City
Kansas City is home to several top-rated public and private schools, so families have plenty of options to choose from. Here are a few of the best:
- Blue Valley School District: Consistently ranked as one of the top school districts in Kansas, the Blue Valley School District serves several suburbs in the Kansas City area.
- Shawnee Mission School District: Another top-rated school district in Kansas, Shawnee Mission serves several Kansas City suburbs, including Prairie Village and Overland Park.
- Pembroke Hill School: This private school has campuses in both Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City, Kansas, and offers an excellent education for students from preschool through high school.
Fun and Educational Activities for Kids in Kansas City
Kansas City is home to several attractions that are both fun and educational for kids. Here are a few to check out:
- Science City: Located inside Union Station, Science City is a hands-on science museum that’s perfect for kids of all ages. It features interactive exhibits on everything from space exploration to anatomy.
- Kansas City Zoo: With over 1,700 animals and 200 acres of exhibits, the Kansas City Zoo is a must-visit for animal lovers. Kids can see everything from African elephants to Australian kangaroos.
- Legoland Discovery Center: This indoor attraction is perfect for kids who love Legos. It features several Lego-themed exhibits and attractions, including a 4D cinema and a build-and-test zone.
- Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead: This working farm in Overland Park is a great place for kids to learn about farm animals and rural life. It features a petting zoo, wagon rides, and even fishing ponds.
In conclusion, Kansas City is a great place to raise a family, with plenty of family-friendly neighborhoods, top-rated schools, and fun and educational activities for kids. By considering these factors when planning your move, you can ensure that your family will thrive in their new home.